THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

By virtue of a decree issued by the Minister of Culture and Art dated on 1st September 1946 The Mieczysław Karłowicz State Music School in Katowice inaugurated its first school year. It was then called ‘ Music Cooperative’ but right from the beginning its teachers were some of the most prominent Polish musicians.
At first the school used the premises of State University of Music in Katowice, but soon moved to the building which today houses The Silesian Theological University, and finally on 19th June 1968 to its present place at 16, Teatralna street at the very heart of the capital of Silesia. The building itself is a monument-school to commemorate the country’s Millennium built for the money donated by Polish citizens. There is a concert hall, a chamber music hall, a ballet practice hall, and numerous classrooms both for group and individual classes.

On September, 1st 1985 by a decision of the Minister of Culture and Art the two separated school departments – primary and secondary were united to form The Mieczysław Karłowicz State Music School of primary and secondary level in Katowice.
In the school history there were the following head-teachers:
- Adam Mitscha 1945 – 46
- Józef Powroźniak 1947
- Marian Łęgowski 1947 – 76
- Stanisław Kotyczka 1977 – 90
- Joanna Kwietniowska 1990 (t.o.d.)
- Andrzej Wójcik 1990 – 91
- Bożena Gieburowska-Gabryś 1991 – 2006
- Dorota Zawierucha Since 2006

ARTISTIC ACTIVITY
The first public concerts to present the school took place in June 1948, in the concert hall of The State University of Music in Katowice. In the following years the talented young musicians performed in such renowned places as the Silesian Theatre, the legendary Polish Radio Music Hall at Plebiscytowa street and in Silesian Philharmonic Concert Hall. The school symphonic orchestra and choir conducted by Konrad Bryzek together with soloists and chamber musicians performed in concert halls of Cracow Philharmonic (1956), National Philharmonic (1958 and 1961) and Kielce Philharmonic (1961). The school concerts have always been supported by active participation of such distinguished graduates as Irena Torbus, Józef Stompel, Antoni Cofalik, Waldemar Nabe, Stanisław Kotyczka, Urszula Mitręga, Henryka Januszewska, Stanisław Proksa, Andrzej Krzanowski and Julian Gębalski.

On 21st March 1973 there was the first concert of a new festival Śląska Trybuna Kompozytorów organized together with Silesian branch of Polish Composers’ Union. The aim of the festival, which has been successfully continued ever since, is to resent new works mainly by Silesian composers performed by some of the most distinguished musicians of our region – often the school graduates as well as teachers and pupils.
In 1977 a new series of concerts was inaugurated. The event called Estrada Młodego Muzyka (Young Musician’s Stage) was to present talents of the school’s gifted young performers.
‘The Karłowicz’s’ talented young musicians have been invited to participate in various, prestigious musical events and festivals: concerts to commemorate the liberation of Silesia (in the years 1955-65) Organ, Choral and Chamber Music Festival in Cieszyn (since 1993) The Mikołów Music Days, Silesian Days of Contemporary Music to mention just
a few. For many years now the school has been co-organizing one of the concerts of the Upper-Silesian Festival Ars Cameralis Silesiae Superiore promoting the most talented young musician of our region.

The school has been also enjoying frequent contacts with foreign music institutions. The first visits abroad took place in 1962 – a group of 65 pupils gave concerts in Budapest and Miszkolc (Hungary) and ten years later the school orchestra went to Ostrava. In 1993 we hosted a group of pupils from music schools in Japan. In May 1995 our orchestra and soloists went to Riba-Roja near Valencia (Spain) and in 1998 four young players were invited to participate in European Youth Festival in Passau (Germany). Between 1999 and 2006 there were annual meetings of our pupils with pupils from Kreisgymnasium Hochschwarzwald in Titisee-Neustadt (Germany). In spring 2000 the teachers and pupils gave a well-received concert in the Polish Culture Institute in Berlin. As Katowice is a partner city of Ostrava
(the Czech Republic) the music schools from both cities in 2002 initiated regular contacts.
We also visit many Polish music schools and give joint concerts: the Ryszard Bukowski School in Wrocław, Music School for Pupils with Impaired Vision in Kraków, and the Grzegorz Fitelberg Music School in Chorzów among others. The teachers alongside their pupils also regularly appear in Atma - Karol Szymanowski’s Muzeum in Zakopane.

The Mieczysław Karłowicz State Music School in Katowice has a collection of printed studies, books and recordings e.g:
- 1945-1975 The Mieczysław Karłowicz State Music School in Katowice, 1975
- Mieczysław Karłowicz. Homage to the composer, Katowice, 1985
- The Mieczysław Karłowicz State Music School in Katowice, 1945-1995, Katowice, 1995
- Mieczysław Karłowicz – early instrumental works, premiere recording, recorded
in the Polish Radio Studio in Katowice to commemorate 50th anniversary of the school, Katowice, 1997
- Roman Beger in Katowice, 1998
- ‘Karłowicz’ – 1946-2006, Katowice, 2006
- Mieczysław Karłowicz, Juvenilia, Katowice, 2006
- Mieczysław Karłowicz, early instrumental works, the Polish Radio Katowice, 2006



.